Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bleu Cheese Chicken








This idea originated honestly because I was tired and out of ideas.....and I had a package of chicken thighs that were getting dangerously close to their expiration dates. It actually turned out pretty good. I wouldn't say it was a favorite but it was easy and I'll definitely be making it again.
You could actually use other salad dressings, most people make chicken with Italian dressing, but I wanted something new.
What you'll need:
Chicken (thigh, legs, breast...your choice)
Bleu cheese dressing
Horseradish, creamy - optional
Salt + pepper
Packaged rice - or plain white
Vegetable - I used broccoli
Shredded cheese
Bread would go well with this also

Preheat the oven to 375.

Start by washing the chicken and putting it in a baking pan. Make sure the pieces aren't too close together or it will take the chicken longer to cook. Top the chicken with salt, pepper, bleu cheese dressing, and creamy horseradish. I use the back of a spoon to smooth this out over the chicken. Once the oven is preheated get it in there for about 40 minutes. Halfway through you'll want to flip over each piece. If you don't have a meat thermometer they're pretty in expensive and very handy. Just don't poke your meat too often because it will drain the juice out of it. Chicken should cook to 170, and after sitting for 5 minutes out of the oven it will continue to cook to 175. If you let it get warmer to 170-175 it will start to dry out.
Once the chicken is in the oven you'll want to start cooking the rice as directed on the box. Rice usually takes 30 minutes or so to cook so it's better for a meal like this than something you need ready right away.
I didn't start the broccoli until about 10 minutes before the chicken and rice were done. Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil and then add the broccoli to it. You can use fresh or frozen. I prefer fresh, but the frozen (florets) are really good too and I don't have to worry about it going bad before I use it. And who likes to clean spoiled veggies out of their fridge drawer? Not me! Once the broccoli is tender enough to easily stick a fork through it I strain it out with a slotted spoon and put it in a casserole dish. I sprinkle it with salt & pepper (and sometimes cumin, or Italian seasoning), stir, and then top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
This meal gave me time to clean up while it cooked, made the house smell yummy, and everyone was full. Job complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment