Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oh So Yummy Tortellini







This meal was one of the more expensive meals that I've made, but still within reasonable budget. Just looking at the pictures is making my stomach growl...so worth it!
Oh So Yummy Tortellini
What you'll need:
1 Rotisserie chicken
Tortellini - pre-made, in deli section or frozen
Sour cream (8 oz)
Butter (1 stick)
Olive oil (1/8 cup)
Cherry tomatoes
Garlic, fresh
Onions
Rosemary (fresh is so much better)
Shredded motzerella - 1 cup
Parmesean cheese - 1/4 cup
I got this idea from my friend Lisa and made a few changes. (Speaking of Lisa, I'll have to show you how to make her pasta salad one day!) Garlic bread would have been a nice side....but I've been slacking on buying bread lately. I should use cutting carbs as an excuse but it's more like forgetfulness.
I usually buy 2 or 3 rotisserie chickens when they go on sale (about $3.99 is good) and I shred all the chicken off of it into bite size pieces. I bag each chicken in a freezer bag individually and flatten out, then freeze. Flattening out the chicken allows it to thaw faster and fit better in the freezer.

In a large pot you'll need to boil some water to cook the tortellini.
Chop onions, rosemary, and garlic into fairly small pieces and begin to saute with a little of the butter and olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt + pepper. The water should be boiling enough to start the pasta cooking (rad package for time and set a timer). Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and then cut each half in half again. Add the shredded chicken to the skillet. Don't add the tomatoes to the onion/chicken mixture until it's almost done cooking. Tomatoes will get soft really quickly and start to mush.
When the tortellini is done cooking strain it and put it back in the pot. Pour everything from the skillet into the pot with the pasta. Add the sour cream, both types of cheese, and the remaining butter and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This was excellent!! I don't even want to know how many calories are in it but YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment