Saturday, February 13, 2010

Not So Philly Cheese Steaks







Not So Philly Cheese Steaks
What you'll need:
Steak-ums (1 box)
Hoagie Rolls
Onion (1 medium)
Green Pepper (1-2)
Shredded Mozzarella
Sliced Provolone
Salt & Pepper
Onion & Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Velveeta Shells
Chips (or beans, etc....quick side)

I know these particular cheese steaks would probably be an embarrassment on any street in Philly.....but it's a quick, easy (and did I mention inexpensive) way to add a little variety to the weekly menu at home.
Begin to boil water to cook your Velveeta shells and heat 2 skillets over medium heat.
Wash, and then thinly slice the onions and green peppers. In one skillet add a little olive oil and begin to saute the green peppers. In the other skillet you'll also need to add a little olive oil and then begin to cook the steak-ums. Add salt, pepper, and garlic & onion powder to both skillets. After the peppers have cooked for a few minutes add the onions. Onions cook much faster.
Your water should be ready to boil the shell noodles. Prepare the Velveeta shells (or any other quick side item you prefer) as described on the package.
When the Steak-ums are fully cooked (and they will crumble) add them to the peppers and onions. Sprinkle heavily with shredded mozzarella and tear pieces of the provolone to toss in too. Mix well.
Serve the yummy, cheesy mix on hoagie rolls with your one or two preferred sides. I used Velveeta shells and pringles because I already had them on hand.
Not gonna profit in Philly but the family should enjoy it :)


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I have not had Steakems since I was a kid! I am making them tonight! Just wish I picked up the velveeta shells!

    ReplyDelete