Thursday, November 19, 2009

Clam Chowder ....QUICKLY!




This meal is sure to leave your family with a warm, full belly...and in a hurry! It was such a rainy, gloomy day that I resorted to this favorite of mine. As you can see in the pictures this one if far from being home-made, but I would like to try making clam chowder from scratch one day....when I have a little extra time (ha!). Until then it's so good and inexpensive in the can that it works for me.
What you'll need:
clam chowder in a can (about 1 can per person, less for a child)
soup crackers
shredded cheese
corn bread mix (+1 egg, and 1/3 cup milk per box)
This was my first time making cornbread with this meal but it went really well with it. To be honest the Jiffy cornbread mix was on sale last month so I bought way too much and needed to make use of it.
Preheat the oven and mix the cornbread as the package instructs. I really have no brand preference on the mix but like I said the Jiffy was on sale and it's pretty good. Yes, the batter is suppose to look thick and a little lumpy. And if anyone has any tips on how to get the batter in to the muffin cups without making a mess all over the pan I'd love to hear it (see pictures as evidence).
Once the cornbread is in the oven (bakes about 15 minutes, that's why I start those first) pour your cans of soup into a pot and cook over medium high. Make sure you stir it frequently so that the bottom doesn't burn. If it starts to boil turn it down to medium.
When the cornbread comes out you can dish up the soup. I always top it with shredded cheese (because what's not better with a little cheese on it?) and soup crackers. I prefer the goldfish cracker because my daughter likes the fish "swimming" in her soup.
Now that dinner is done for under $10 and in under 20 minutes.....you'll have time to fold that laundry and assist with homework ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment