Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pigin' Penne






What you'll need:

Penne Pasta (or ziti) - 1 box
Spaghetti Sauce - 1 can or jar
Ground Italian Sausage - 1 lb
Green Peppers - 1 large or 2 small
Onion - to taste
Ricotta / Parmesan Cheese (both optional)

I decided to make this dish because I had some left over ricotta and a box of penne pasta. In this economy it's all about using whats already in the cabinets and being flexible with the recipes. I also made garlic bread with a couple hoagie rolls that were getting too close to expiration.

Preheat the oven to 400 (only if you plan to bake garlic bread). You can also accompany this meal with frozen, premade garlic bread like I often do and in that case just follow the package instructions. Begin to boil enough water for the pasta to cook (in a large pot). Chop the green peppers in chunks about the size of a dime and the onions about the size of a pea. Using a little vegetable oil (or olive oil is a healthier choice) in a frying pan start to saute the peppers on medium. After a few minutes have passed add the onions and a little salt and pepper. Peppers take longer to cook so to prevent burnt onions I always put them in a little later. If your water is boiling get the noodles in it and set a timer for the suggested cook time on the package. You'll need a second skillet to brown the ground sausage. I don't suggest cooking raw meat and vegetables in the same pan because of the famed "cross contamination." Plus, you can't stop one from over cooking if the other isn't quite done yet. Trust me....it's just safer all around.

While everything else cooks (don't forget to check and stir frequently) you can start buttering those hoagie rolls (or bread, hot dog bun, etc.). I go a little thick on the butter and then sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and if I have it....a little shredded cheese. These won't need to bake long so when you have about 5 minutes left on the pasta timer get those in the oven.

Drain the pasta and put it back in the pot you cooked it in. This is why I suggested a "large" pot....it will need to hold all of your ingredients. Add the cooked sausage (which shouldn't need to be drained but definitely drain it if there is a grease build-up) and the peppers and onions. Pour the can/jar of sauce over it (don't worry, the hot noodles and sausage will warm it up, no need to cook it first). If you want to add some cheese you won't get any argument out of me. I LOVE cheese in just about anything. Like I said, I used the left over ricotta I had (about 1 cup). Mix it all together and enjoy. Don't forget the bread in the oven....this can be hazardous ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment