Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My First Quiche







A name like "Quiche" has always intimidated me. Sounds a little too fancy to make....and by fancy I mean difficult. However, it turns out there is nothing fancy about scrambled eggs in a pie crust. That's not exactly what Quiche is but that's the basics of it. Fancy or not....I went back for seconds. Yummmmmy!!

What you'll need:

2 deep dish pie crusts (8-9 inches) *freezer section
10 eggs
2 cups heavy cream (that's 16 oz's)
1.5 cups shredded cheese (your favorite)
meat & veggies
*this is very flexible. I picked bacon & spinach for 1 pie, and sausage & mushrooms for the other. You can leave it plain and add more cheese or mix it up a bit. As for the amount- you'll need enough to line the pan as pictured. I used about 10 strips of bacon, most of a bag of spinach (salad mix size bag), 3/4 tube Jimmy Dean B-fast sausage, and about 2/3 a pkg of fresh mushrooms (in the can works fine too). I also used onions in both.

Move the pie crusts from the freezer to your refrigerator in the morning so they can thaw. I'll admit I forgot to do this so they only thawed on the counter for about 30 minutes...but they still turned out great so I lucked out.

Preheat the oven to 400.

I started by cooking the bacon in a big pot (the big pot makes cooking the spinach easier later). Once you have the bacon going start the sausage cooking in a frying pan. When the bacon is done remove it LEAVING THE GREASE IN THE POT. Put the fresh spinach in the bacon grease. It will only take a few minutes of stirring on medium to be cooked. The spinach will shrink a lot so cook more than you think you'll need. You'll know it's done when it looks wilted and slimy (gross, I know, but go with it). When the sausage is browned through add the mushrooms to the pan and stir a few more minutes. You can put the bacon back in with the spinach and add onions to both pans (if you like). Keep these pans both going on low and crack all 10 eggs into a bowl. Add the heavy cream to the eggs and beat them well. I added salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to the egg mixture.

Place both pie crusts on a cookie sheet. If you're like me there will be some spillage and the pan will catch it. Spoon your "meat & veggie mixtures" into the bottom of each pie crust. Do not fill it to the top. I tried to get a good picture of mine so you can see how high to fill it. Once this is done sprinkle with cheese. Pour half of the egg mixture over 1 pie, and the rest over the second pie.

They will need to bake at 400 for 15 minutes. When the time is up, reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for another 35 minutes. Check it at about 25 minutes though....if the top is browned it's probably done. I was pretty hungry by the time they came out so I cut right into it....however it was easier to serve after a few minutes of cooling.

This was my first time and I really liked the results....but if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment